Friday, May 20, 2011

True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.

From Thursday, 5/19/11, still from New Bern, NC

My brother, Richard, and his wife, Alice, took us to see the tornado damage in the area where my niece lives, about 10 miles east of town. We couldn’t believe the devastation. The trees were twisted or broken off. Most were pine trees. They are all dead now because they can’t be topped like that and survive. There were houses in a new development that were destroyed, their tops ripped off. Lots of roofs damaged and covered in blue plastic. It was amazing that everyone survived the storm that night.

After the tour, we returned to our “quiet” RV to rest. Charlie decided he wanted to go to Ruby Tuesdays for his birthday dinner. We met Richard, Alice, Ginger and Dusty there at 6:00pm. We had a nice time, but it was already 7:30 and we were too tired to go back to Richard’s for Carrot Cake! Now, that’s pretty tired for Charlie.

8:46am Friday, May 20, 2011

We were actually “allowed” to sleep in this morning until 7:00am! Since being on this trip, we’ve been waking at 5:00am or earlier each morning. I think we’re finally starting to catch up on our sleep. I just know it’s the time zone thing.

Charlie crashed and I stayed up a little to read. Oh, did I tell you that Charlie gave me a Kindle? The only book I have downloaded is “Atlas Shrugged”. The story on that is, we brought that book along with us when we made this RV trip two years ago. We decided that we would get it read along the way. I started reading it to Charlie as we drove along.

We didn’t finish it (it’s huge book) and I put it on the book shelf. It didn’t get picked up again. I was going to bring it on this trip, but decided to download it on Kindle. Anyway, I’m reading it to catch up on where I left off two years ago. When I do, I will start reading it aloud to Charlie while we’re driving. I know, wouldn’t it be so much fun to travel with us? “Atlas Shrugged”? Ha Charlie will be a captive audience.

Today I’m going to take the day off, leave Charlie here with the cats and go shopping with my niece, Debbie. When we were out with Richard and Alice yesterday, we stopped by to see Debbie for a little while. Debbie has cats and we got to meet them. I’d heard their names before, but had never met them.

My day is just starting, so I have lots to write about tomorrow. We are going to my school reunion tonight and tomorrow night. Richard and Alice are coming with us. It’s my first, so it should be interesting.

The cats and Sheila are all doing fine. We made sure they had plenty of dry food in their bowl last night before going to bed. I think that kept them from waking us up so early for breakfast. Today is a little cloudy, but I think it’s supposed to be in the 80’s.

More later……..

No comments:

Post a Comment