Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Some people have cats and go on to lead normal lives

From Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Last night we got home around 11:00pm. When we opened the door to come in, one of our cats, Kaci, slipped out and we had to catch her. By the time we had everyone corralled, it was midnight. I’d had some wine at the park and at dinner, so I was pretty tired. Charlie was our designated driver. At the restaurant, he received free sodas for being the DD.

I called to see if I could get “Sheila” in to the groomers today. We used to take “Chelsi” to Ja-Pen to be groomed when we lived here. It was the only place we’d ever taken her that when we went to pick her up, they had to wake her to go home! I was glad to see that they were still in business, although their old building had been torn down. They moved to another building next door. They told me to bring Sheila in within the hour. Charlie and I took her on down.

“Thunder” was supposed to go back to the vet today for a checkup on his oral surgery and then get an antibiotic shot. When we got back from dropping Sheila off, Mom said “Thunder” slipped out the back door.” He was outside hiding somewhere, so she had to cancel his appointment until he comes home.

Charlie decided to take the RV and get the oil changed for the trip home. We had to back it out to the street from the side yard. Since Charlie gives better hand signals than me, he directs and I drive. I tried to start the engine and it wouldn’t turn over. It just made a grind sound. Charlie got in and tried it and it wouldn’t start. Then he tried it again and it had a little more life, but didn’t start. The next time it turned over and started up. We were puzzled. It’s been setting in the yard for a week and we haven’t started it up, but at home it sets for more time than that without starting.

Anyway, we got the RV out to the street and Charlie took it to Jiffy Lube for the oil change. He was back in no time. They had checked the battery for him while he was there and it was fine.

So in just a little while we decided to go to Little Creek to get some gas and shop at the Exchange for a couple of things. I was going to practice my driving, so I got behind the wheel. The engine wouldn’t start again. Just like this morning. Charlie got behind the wheel and tried his magic, but this time, no dice. It would not start. We looked under the hood and the cables seemed connected, but we wouldn’t know what else to look for.

I called the Auto Club to come out and take a look at it. In about 30 minutes the guy showed up. He gave us a jump and told us that it was probably the battery. Well, I remembered that it had not been that long ago that Charlie put that battery in the RV. He had gone to Pep Boys and bought it.

Charlie has been helping Jan with her insurance claim on her house. He had a meeting with the insurance adjuster and Jan’s brother-in-law, John. John helps manage some of Jan’s business and property. Since Charlie was going to be tied up there, I told him that I would take the RV to Sears to see if we needed a new battery. Mom said she’d go with me.

We told the “Felix”, the Sears guy, about our problem in starting the RV this morning, etc. He said they could check the battery, alternator and starter to see if there were problems. Mom and I waited in the waiting room.

Soon “Felix” and “Chris” came in. Apparently “Chris” had done the analysis and could find nothing wrong. He said the battery, a Bosch, was a good battery. Better than a Die Hard (he works for Sears). He said we should check to see if it needed water. I said I thought batteries were sealed these days and he said “no, look and see if it needs water”. Mom said “How much water should be put in?” Chris said “Doesn’t matter. You can put it in until it runs out. Won’t hurt anything”.

So, we went on out to start up the RV and leave. I got behind the wheel and—grind—nothing. Just like earlier. I went back into the shop and told “Felix” that the RV wouldn’t start.

So then a couple of guys came out and opened the hood and started testing, etc. I called Charlie and since he was through with his meeting, he came on over.

It was such a hot day. We waited and waited. Finally Charlie said I should take Mom home and he would stay and see what could be done. Ja-Pens had called to tell me that Sheila was ready for pick up, so Mom and I went to get her and take her home.

Charlie called later and told me to come over and get him. We had a bad alternator it seemed and it would take a couple of hours to fix it.

We called the mechanics back around 8:10pm and asked how the RV was coming. “Joe” said it was almost ready and we could come back over to get it soon. We went back over. The mechanic was still putting things back together. Then Joe told us that we needed a new battery after all. Seems the one we had had a dead cell and was not holding a charge. He took Charlie back in the garage and explained all the testing they had done. Charlie was not 100% sure that we had needed an alternator and a battery, but at this point, we just wanted an RV that would start.

So, we have the RV back on the street tonight. We’ll be packing up in the morning to leave by early afternoon.

It has been such a good visit here. We have really enjoyed it. The cats and Sheila think that this is where they live now. Jason and Jonesie are playing with the new toy—the one that has the ball on the track that goes round and round and round………..

More later………

No comments:

Post a Comment