Sunday, May 22, 2011

“The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at home in the bosom of my family.” - Thomas Jefferson

From Saturday, May 21, 2011, still from New Bern, NC

We went to the reunion again. This time we were a little later and got there around 7:00pm. Almost everyone was there already. We put our name tags on and found a table.

Tonight was a little different from last night. People had found their old friends in high school and the clicks all sat together just like in high school. Amazing, but that is exactly how it was.

I didn’t really talk to many people who I didn’t already know. I knew some of the names of my classmates, but back in school, I had never associated with them and tonight, I didn’t really associate with them or them with me.

Our regular group, John Henry, his wife Sandy (who is a doll), Jay and Ginger talked. John and Sandy joined us at a table. We enjoyed talking about old times. John has a very good memory. He and I knew each other before high school, so we had lots of things to talk about. He and Sandy live in Aspen, Colorado. They have been to a few reunions, so I’m sure Sandy had heard all of the stories. But, she listens and is as amused as if it’s the first time she’s heard the stories. They are a very nice couple.

I talked to Ginger and her husband, Steve, for a few minutes. Ginger has been very busy. She has written a couple of books with her sister. I’m going to look them up. She has a couple which have not been published yet. Ginger is very spunky, just like she was when I knew her in school.

When I saw Jay I remembered what a cut up he was on the school bus I rode. He’s still that way. He said he would send me a CD of the music that the DJ’s played. I’m going to hold him to it.

We stayed a little later tonight than last night. They gave prizes away. Charlie and I won the prize for coming from the farthest away. It was a carved bear that is holding a sign. On one side it says “Welcome” and on the other it says “Wipe your paws”. It’s cute, but I would rather have had the quilt or the crocheted blanket on the prize table! The people who won the quilt were the longest married couple….they must have gotten married just after high school.

Then they had given us tickets for a drawing. They started calling numbers. John from our table won and he picked out a prize. Someone picked out the crocheted blanket. Not much was left that was good.

I went to the restroom. I was coming back and just before I got to my seat, they called out “028”, which was Alice’s number. She told me to pick out something since it was my class. I went up and picked out a little blue blanket with an American flag on it. She told me to keep it. She insisted. I was getting ready to sit down. Then they called “030” and Charlie said “That’s your number!” I went back to the table. At this point there was not much left. There was a red T-shirt which had “Georgia Bull Dogs” on it (these were all donated items!) and some really weird napkins that no one wanted. Paula had been trying to get people to take them. I chose the T-shirt. It was an X-Large. I asked if Alice wanted it and she said yes. So, I had gotten a blanket after all. It wasn’t the quilt or the crocheted one I wanted, but it was a blanket. I had joked with Charlie that Little Girl Kaci wanted a new blanket. She loves to burrow.

By that time it was approaching 10:30pm. That’s getting late. We decided to say our goodbyes. We really had enjoyed seeing everyone and this reunion was well planned.

John, Jay, Ginger and I declared that we would stay in touch. John had commented earlier that most of the people who were at this reunion, lived either out of state or in another city. The locals had not shown up! Oh well, we still had a good time.

Charlie and I got back to the RV. We had some wine and talked about the events from the past two nights. We had nothing stronger than iced tea at the reunion…….It was late when we finally went to bed.

Sunday, May 22, 2011, 9:50pm

We woke up at 9:00am this morning and got up. I didn’t make coffee because we were going to meet relatives at the park for a reunion and lunch. We went to the KOA office and got (free) coffee instead.

We picked Debbie up and picked up the food. We had the park from 10:00am – 2:00pm.

Debbie and I had gone to the Parks and Recreation Department on Friday to reserve the pavilion at the park. We walked in and immediately the man at the desk, said “Did you see ‘American Idol’ last night?” I told him no, but we had gone online to see who got kicked off. Then “Mel” started complaining that Haley got a raw deal, etc. It was funny. He likes Scotty, by the way.

We told him what we wanted. He got the clipboard and the application for the reservation. We followed him into an office. He looked at the calendar on the wall. I thought he was looking at the calendar to see what date we were asking about. Instead he started telling us about his numerous doctor appointments. He said “I’ve seen 8 doctors in two weeks!” I told him I hoped he was okay. He said he had liver problems and was doing tests. Then he told us that when the guy came around to empty the trash cans, give him some lunch and say it was for “Mel”. When we paid him, he took a box down from the shelf that said “Mel’s” on it.

We got our receipt, etc. I said “Thanks, Mel” and we turned to leave. He said “Wait a minute. What did you call me?” I said, “Mel”. He said “How do you know my name?” I said, “I heard you say it earlier and it’s on the box”. He was still very puzzled. We walked out, Debbie rolling her eyes.

When we got outside, I told Debbie that I paid attention when people mentioned their names. I was having a physical one time. They sent me to have an EKG. The person who signs in to the equipment has their name in there. From the table I was lying on, I could see “Mickie”. When the test was over, I said “Thanks, Mickie”. She looked at me and said “How do you know my name?” I said, “It’s on the screen there”. I guess she thought I was too old to see that far if I was having an EKG! That’s why I really get annoyed by the medical profession in this country. They don’t treat the person, they treat the age. But, don’t get me started on that. If you’re over 50, you will find out for yourself what I mean. Debbie is getting close and she said she already knows.

It was funny. She said when she goes to Golden Corral, they give her the senior discount. Finally, she said “Wait a minute. I’m not even 50 yet!” They said “Well, you saved $.64”. I said if they just give you the discount and don’t announce it over the loud speaker, just take it!

So we got to the park today, set up and everyone was already hungry so we ate BBQ, chicken, cole slaw, potato salad, hush puppies, and I brought 'homemade' baked beans (Bush’s Baked Beans out of the can, heated in a crock pot).

It was all so good. Charlie and I had not had breakfast so we were pretty hungry. It was breezy and we hardly could keep the table clothes on the table. As soon as we were through eating, the wind died down.

We had a nice afternoon though. The kids played on the playground. We packed up at 2:00pm and went over to Debbie’s. Her daughter, Raven, was getting off work at 3:00pm and wanted to see Charlie. I had seen Raven on Friday while shopping with Debbie.

Richard and Alice didn’t make the reunion. Richard called and said that he was sick. Last night I noticed that he was sounding hoarse. He said he had a sore throat this morning and was really sick. They did not even go to church, so I know he was sick!

Charlie and I got back to the RV around 4:30pm and we were so tired. I did a load of laundry. We’re leaving for VA tomorrow! Now that the cats are all settled, we’ll have to get on the road again. Oh well. When we get there, we will move into (Mom’s) house for a week. Talk about being spoiled! That’s when it will be hard to get on the road again.

More later……….

No comments:

Post a Comment