Friday, May 13, 2011

If anything can go wrong..........

Update: Friday afternoon, 5:30PM May 13, 2011

I was unable to post last night. My blogger site was down this morning when we left our campground. Here is the post from Thursday night.

From Thursday night: We slept really well last night. It was kind of cool so we had the heat on low. The cats were also quiet. But, when I woke up about 6:00am, I noticed that Jonesie was sitting on top of the stove. There is a butcher block board that covers the burners. Then I noticed that the door to the cupboard under the sink was open! Jason has always been able to open this door. It is hard for me to open! I’m not sure how he does it. I’m sure that he, Kaci and Jonesie were in the cabinet, exploring.

I got up and closed the door. Charlie had installed a latch, but I had forgotten to latch it last night. Jason taught Jonesie about this little secret place and Jonesie kept coming back to see if he could get in.

We made coffee and breakfast, which was good. We were hungry. It must be those high elevations in New Mexico!

The showers at the park were being renovated, so only one was working. It was the handicapped one. Charlie went first. He said the water pressure was low and the water was not really that warm, but it felt good to get a shower.

I went over to get my shower. The water was luke warm and by the time I got soaped up, the water was getting pretty cool. I was able to get rinsed off. I felt pretty good.

We left the park about 8:35am. At our first stop for gas, the price was $3.89. We drove on and there was no radio reception. It was just miles and miles of open range. We saw 3 or 4 antelope grazing. Since we had no radio, we played cassettes. Lots of songs we had forgotten about. Some were recorded from my old 45 rpm collection. For those of you who don’t know what a 45 is, it is a vinyl record!

We stopped in Tucumcari, NM for gas at $3.75/gallon and then went through Amarillo, TX. I was looking for those old Cadillacs that are buried, front end in the ground, just off the freeway near Amarillo. I thought they were further back and I thought there were about 10 of them. I noticed some vehicles on the Frontage Road and then when I looked over, I saw that some people had stopped to see the cars sticking out of the ground. There were only 5 or 6 though and I didn’t notice what kind they were. I don’t think they are the ones called “Cadillac Ranch”.

We stopped for gas about 28 miles east of Amarillo. It was $3.79/gallon. Charlie says we’re getting about 10 miles to the gallon, which is pretty good.

Tonight we are at the Elk City/Clinton KOA in Oklahoma. It’s about 140 miles west of Oklahoma City. When we stopped, it was kind of warm, maybe in the 80’s. The cats were tired from riding all day. I fed them and Jason stretched out on the couch, Kaci went into Sheila’s kennel and Jonesie stretched out on top of one of the kennels in the cab.

The park is a really nice campground. The mascot is a little grey tabby cat who is very friendly. We’ve both petted him. When we took Sheila for a walk before dark, he was sitting at one of the camp sites, washing his face. I forgot to ask his name, but I know he lives here. We saw a bowl of dry food by the shower door tonight.

We hooked up cable for our TV and it works great. We were able to watch O’Reilly and catch up on some news of the day. We’re hoping to watch American Idol tonight and see who gets kicked off. I went online last night and found that Jacob had been kicked off last week.

Also, the WiFi is great. Charlie was able to go on his World of War Craft and do some business. He puts things up for sale and checks his messages, etc. Oh, and I looked up the “Cadillac Ranch”. Apparently those 10 Cads are buried near Route 66. We saw a couple of imitators today, but nothing like the real thing on the real road.

More later……..

No comments:

Post a Comment