Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Life is just like an ice cream, enjoy it before it melts.

From Monday, May 30, 2011—Memorial Day

I woke up this morning to the sound of Jonesie playing with his new toy. Mom and I had gone to Petsmart a couple of days ago. Since Jonesie enjoyed playing with her cats’ toys here at the house, Mom decided to buy Jonesie a toy of his own. It’s one of those round tracks which has a ball to chase. Jonesie has had so much fun with it and now he has his own.

Last night after we turned the lights off, we lay there listening to the cats in the dark. One was eating from a glass bowl, his ID tag clanging on the rim and one was spinning the ball around on that new toy. It sounds like a distant thunder when it goes around. I couldn’t help but laugh. After awhile the cats settled down and went to sleep.

My cold is getting better. I still have congestion and a cough that won’t quit once it gets started. A side effect is that I have lost my sense of smell and taste. I did some research and from what I’ve read, it should be temporary. My nose was really stuffy there for awhile. I checked the side effects of the nasal spray I got from the clinic the other day and it says nothing about causing loss of the sense of smell. I’m still eating, although I don’t have much of an appetite for food this morning.

We went to Doris and Dane’s yesterday (Sunday) for a cook out. On the way, we stopped to get Mammaw. Doris had expected their son, Jerry, and his family, but they had made plans to go camping. Tim came over too.

Everything was very good (I think). Though I couldn’t taste a thing, I ate as much as I would if I could taste it. It sounds weird, but I think it’s because I know what everything SHOULD taste like. I can tell when something is sweet or salty though. I can even tell if something is TOO salty. But, not being able to TASTE my food will get old soon I know.

When we got home we went up to check on the cats. As we opened the door, Charlie said “Oh my, they’ve been busy in the litter box today!” I smiled and said, “I wouldn’t know, I can’t smell a thing!” So there are times when the loss of this sense comes in handy.

“Thunder”, the cat who had oral surgery last week, is doing well. He wants to go outside, but he doesn’t have doctor’s permission yet. We took him out to the yard the other day and walked around with him. He squatted and did #1 for the longest time! I couldn’t believe how long he stood there. What a relief! Mom says he doesn’t like to use a litter box. He still needs to do #2 though. Yesterday while he was out, he jumped the fence and went in the yard next door. Charlie helped to herd him back into the yard so we could catch him and get him back inside.

Mom took “Thunder” out again this morning and he out-maneuvered her this time. We’ll just have to wait for him to come home after he tends to all of his “unfinished” business! He goes back to the doctor tomorrow and maybe he’ll get official permission to go outside then. He’s eating well, even without any teeth.

The resident cats here, “Oliver”, “Toby” and “Thunder”, have total access to the yard and house. They have their own cat door which is in one of the windows to the front yard. Since our cats have been here and are being allowed to roam the house, we have been careful to watch that none of them use the cat window. So far, none have figured it out---until this morning. Charlie said that “Kaci” learned that the window had a cat door in it. So, Mom has removed the cat door until we leave! Now her cats will have to come and go the old fashioned way, ask at the door and hope someone is there to let them in or out. I know “Oliver”, “Toby”, and “Thunder” will be glad to have their house back when we go!

I went over to visit my cousin, Joan, for a little while. She lives not far from here in Norfolk. We had lost touch with each other for years. When Charlie and I lived here from 2002 to 2004, we re-established our relationship. I also got to see Joan’s mom, my aunt, several times before she got sick and passed away. Joan’s older sister, Carol, and I also stay in touch by email. I haven’t seen her in a long, long time though. She lives in Cincinnati, Ohio. Maybe one of these days we’ll get together.

When I got home, Charlie said that Tim had called and asked if we wanted to meet he and Dorothy at 6:00pm for a Virginia Symphony concert at Waterside in Norfolk. That sounded like fun so we went.

The music was great and we enjoyed each other’s company. Then we went to dinner at the beach. Memorial Day weekend finally wound down, but it was lots of fun.

More later………

No comments:

Post a Comment