Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Runaway Home Part Deux

We got out of the house and on the road at 8:35a.m. Our target had been 8:00, but there are always last minute things to do, so.......as we were driving down our street, Charlie announced "It's 8:35", and I didn't say anything since I know I was the reason that we were 35 minutes later than planned. It was not a problem though. Charlie has learned a long time ago that the more he urges me to hurry, the more frustrated I get and then that's not so good for him to deal with.

So we had the three cats, Jason, Kaci and Jonesie with us. This is Jonesie's maiden voyage. Kaci immediately settled on the couch. I covered her with a blanket and she was in "her happy place". Jason found refuge in one of the kennels. Jonesie decided that he wanted to sit on my lap. I loved having him there, but I know the lap thing is short lived....maybe a month.

We stopped for gas in El Centro, about an hour and a half into the trip, with a half tank of gas left. We paid $4.19 per gallon. Then we traveled another couple of hours and stopped in Dateland, Arizona. It's kind of in the middle of no where and we thought the price for gas would be horrendous. It was $3.78 a gallon! Never thought we'd think we were getting a deal. I paid $3.97 at Costco when I filled up the other day and the time before, $4.07 at the base!

So, anyway we stopped for the night at Black Canyon City, Arizona, KOA Kampground. We got here about 3:30 p.m. Charlie took Sheila out for a walk. We had time to just sit and relax. The cats found places to look out the window and watch the rabbits and birds. It was nice, maybe in the 70's, but supposed to get down to 48 degrees tonight.

The camper next to us has three dogs with him. You can tell he just loves them and they watch every move he makes. One of the dogs looks like it has wolf in it, one looks like pit bull, and the other is brown and looks like it may have Chow Chow. All nice looking dogs.

We had Sheila out and a lady camper came over and asked if she was "Aussie". We immediately said "Yes, she is a Blue Heeler". We learned about them from hearing everyone asking us if that is what she is. That is what she is. We had no idea when we got her. When we told the lady (who was Aussie) that her name was "Sheila", she really got off on that. Of course, if you've ever been to "Outback" restaurant, you'll know when you go to the lady's room, it has "Sheilas" on the door. That's Aussie for girls! We didn't even think of that when we named her. Her original name was "Sheba", but we didn't want that for her, so we called her "Sheila" since it sounded like "Sheba". Now we act like we named her that on purpose.

We had Sheila groomed the other day and the groomer told Charlie that Sheila was "Australian Cattle Dog", not Border Collie, like we'd told her.....well, that is what the animal shelter told us when we adopted her, so.......anyway.

We've had dinner, the cats are settled, Sheila is in her kennel. Time to relax. Oh, we have to stop at the electronics store tomorrow....to get some cable so we can watch TV and also a power cord for the laptop.......Mr. Bell didn't get these things in the bag, although he kept asking me if I had my cords for my cameras, my phones, etc. Well, you know the drill.....he certainly does! It's okay though, I am getting my blog published on the battery that is left......

Tune in later...........

No comments:

Post a Comment