Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Runaway Home is Cold and Wet

We woke up pretty early this morning. Jonesie got his mouth caught on his collar and was struggling to get it loose. I tried to get the collar out of his mouth, but couldn’t. We turned the light on and while Charlie held Jonesie, I unbuckled his collar. Poor little fellow. His neck is still so small. I have to make another hole in the collar. It’s either too loose or too tight. We always make the cats wear collars when we travel.

The breakaway collars are the best. Mr. Crème wears one and, of course, he has lost several of his collars. He gets them caught on bushes in the yard, etc., but I’m glad they break open.

Not long after we got Jezibel declawed, I came home from work one day at lunch. I walked in the house and there were bloody tracks everywhere on the entryway tiles. I could hear something in the dining room. When I went in there, Jezibel was in the window, struggling to get her collar out of her mouth! She was all bloody and I’ll never forget that panic stricken look in her eyes. Her face is white and that made the blood on her fur look even worse. She had opened up her sutures from her claws and that was where all the blood came from.

I got the collar off and called the vet to tell them I was coming in with her. Then I called Charlie. He said he’d come home as soon as he could. I took Jezibel to the vet and they kept her to fix her paws. I came home and discovered that not only was there blood in the entryway and dining room, but all up the stairs, on the walls, in one of the closets upstairs. That poor little Jezibel had run all over the house trying to get that collar out of her mouth.

I started cleaning up the blood. Charlie said when he walked in the door and saw his wife cleaning up the bloody floor, his imagination could have gone wild if he didn’t know about Jezibel! We managed to get it clean and we picked up Jezibel the next day. She was fine and her paws healed. We do not put collars on our cats while they are in the house anymore. They only wear them when they go into our back yard.

So, anyway, that’s how our morning started. Jonesie was no worse for the wear though. We had an early breakfast and got our showers.

Before leaving the park, we walked around and took some pictures. They had three chickens which are called Easter Egg Chickens because they lay light green eggs. I saw one yesterday. The manager said that was the third egg of the day. They are big eggs too. There were also some goats there. Two of the biggest goats we’ve ever seen and I’m not sure what kind they were. There was a smaller one too. There were little food dispensing machines and for a quarter you could feed the chickens and/or goats. They were getting plenty of food, that’s for sure.

We left the park about 8:35 a.m. We were taking I-17 North towards Flagstaff and then onto I-40. We stopped for gas just north of Black Canyon City and paid $3.95/gallon. While driving through the Flagstaff area, we noticed that quite a few of the pines were either dead or dying. I’m not sure why, but it was noticeable.

The next stop was Winslow, Arizona where we paid $3.69. While there, we stopped at Wal Mart and bought a charger for the laptop and some coaxial cable for the TV. Our next gas stop was just east of Gallup, New Mexico, $3.75/gallon.

We had crossed into the Mountain Time Zone when we got to New Mexico, so we lost an hour. It started raining some and because the weather was so cool, I had a sinus headache since morning. I went to lie down on the bed with Jonesie and we took a nap. Charlie said the drops of rain were huge. Sometimes it rained pretty hard and then sometimes it was like a quick shower, then the sun would come out.

We reached the Albuquerque Central KOA around 5:30 p.m. It’s a nice park. Very level campsites. It is in town and there are apartment buildings all around. Even so, it’s very quiet and there are lots of trees. I noticed that the RV across from us has two cats sitting in the doorway.

It’s kind of cool, in the high 50’s maybe. Usually it’s warmer here at this time of year. Guess they haven’t gotten the memo yet on global warming.

The WiFi connection is not very good here and I hope I can get my blog published tonight! If not, I will do it when I can.

More later………

No comments:

Post a Comment