Monday, November 1, 2010

The Invasion of the Calico's




Lexi (back) and Jezibel


For as long as we’ve had the twins, Jason and Kaci (about three years), they have had dominance on the bed, along with Taz, of course. Any time of day you could walk into the bedroom and at least one twin or Taz or all three would be on the bed together.

It’s been three weeks since Taz was here. The first few nights after he was gone, I’d go to bed and there wouldn’t be a single cat on the bed. Sometime during the night the twins would come in and be there curled up near me in the morning. Because Taz was so possessive of me, and the twins were always with Taz, none of the other cats were allowed on the bed. Jezibel, slept upstairs in the cat tree in the room with her “daughter”, Ellie. Lexi slept in her little bed on the little cat patio.

Last week we noticed that Jezibel was on the bed each night when we went to bed. Lexi was staying in the house, but she slept on the floor in the livingroom. Ellie stayed upstairs.

Jezibel and Taz had always been “counterparts”. Both had strong personalities and both owned someone. Jezibel “owned” Charlie, and Taz “owned” me. Although that was the case, Taz still loved Charlie and always welcomed his attention. On the other hand, Jezibel did not welcome attention from me most of the time. The only time she came to me for attention was when Charlie was gone for a few days. We always joked that it was a “mother/daughter” thing.

Last night Charlie went to the neighbor’s house to play “Texas Hold’em”. They get together every couple of months. I decided to go to bed early and watch TV.

Jezibel was at the foot of the bed when I got there. After I got settled, she actually came up close to me and let me pet her! Usually I pet her a few times and then she starts complaining and doesn’t want to be touched anymore. But, not this time. She let me rub her head and chin and then I got brave and petted her on her back and stomach. Still she stayed and there were no complaints. She even started licking my hand. I felt like a privileged character.

Then, surprise number two popped up. Lexi came up on the bed. Jezibel is Lexi’s mother, but they are like oil and water and always have been, even though they have been together all of Lexi’s life.

I expected Jezibel to storm off of the bed like I’ve seen her do so many times when any of the other cats come around, but another surprise! She stayed where she was and not only that, there were no growls or hisses either. Lexi made her way up, close to me, walking right by Jezibel, who was lying next to me. I petted her and she kneaded and purred. Where is Charlie when I want to gloat?

Jason came up earlier and quietly slipped into one of the alcove’s at the head of the bed. There’s a blanket there and he curled up and went to sleep. I know he and Kaci miss Taz as much as we do. I reached up and rubbed his head and I think he knew that some things have begun to change in the pecking order. I kind of felt sorry for him because he always had a spot on the bed.....the spot that Jezibel was in at the moment.

Taz and the twins always together
Looking out bedroom window

Jezibel and Lexi stayed on the bed all night like that and they were still there when Charlie came home at midnight. Maybe they have finally started to mellow out, but then again.....probably not!

More later........

2 comments:

  1. Jezibel mellow out? Not possible!

    When I came to bed that night I certainly noticed the covers had blossomed into a calico pattern all around Judi. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how they act different depending on who is around. Sweetie cat won't have anything to do with me if Jasmin's dog is visiting Grammy.

    ReplyDelete