Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A day as long as my tail!


As transcribed from Taz's notes:

Yesterday I was at the hospital all day. They were super busy since my doctor took a few days off for Labor Day weekend. It's okay, she cleared it with me first.


I was low on their list for my blood test, examination and chemo. Since there are usually more dogs there than cats, the nurses let me stay up at their station and I get to watch the dogs and others come and go. They call me "long, gray, and handsome". I always get a good report about how good I behave. Of course, I would never behave this well at home....it would ruin my image.


I have been receiving 3 kinds of medicine in my chemo treatments. One week I get Vincristine which is given through an IV. That takes only a few seconds. This one is given every other week. In the 16 treatments total, Vincristine will be given 8 of those weeks.


The next week I get Cyclophosphamide which is in a pill form. I think I hate that one the most because I hate taking pills! They gave me the Cyclophosphamide yesterday and it's only the second time I've had it. The first time, July 21, my second week on chemo, my mom and dad took me to the hospital where I got a blood test. Then I was allowed to go home right away. The doctor called when the blood test results came back and since all was well, I could have the pills at home. My mom had to use rubber gloves because of the toxicity of the drugs. They managed to get them down my throat that time, but now that I don't take pills so easily, my parents said the hospital staff would have to give the pills from now on. I will receive 4 Cyclophosphamide treatments total. Two more to go!


The third drug is Doxorubicin and that's by IV which takes about 20 minutes to administer. I'm usually pretty bored by the time they get around to giving me this stuff, so I just sit and wait for it to be over. The nurses are amazed at me, but I'm not. I will receive 4 Doxorubicin treatments and I have three more to go!


So, after September 21, I'll go in every other week instead of every week. I could get used to that. If all goes well, we're hoping that January 11, 2011 will be my last visit.

Oh, we're living in the RV now since my parents had to sell the house.........no, I'm just kidding!


I have gained weight! When the doctor called my parents yesterday to tell them that I was ready to come home, she said "Congratulations! You're now the parents of a 10 lb. boy! Pretty cool, huh?

1 comment:

  1. Taz, you look like a mountain lion! What a great picture. Glad you are still the boss. We wouldn't know what to do with out you. Sounds like you are having alot of great adventures.
    Keep up the good work! Keep'em in line!!!

    ReplyDelete