Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Beam me up Scottie! Or is it, "Who's on first?"

Jonesie and his BFF, Jason

I’m getting closer to painting my computer room. Over the past year, my goal was to get all of the walls inside the house painted. The only rooms left now are my computer room and the upstairs bathroom.

Today Charlie unloaded 4 bookcases, each 6 feet tall. I had photo albums, magazines and other items on two of them:

The other two were loaded down with my Avon products: That will be another project later.

While making space in the walk-in closet, to temporarily put these items from the bookcases, we discovered my Collector’s Edition of STAR TREK The Next Generation VHS tapes, in star date order, no less. They’ve been packed away in the closet since we moved back into this house in July 2004.

I collected these tapes over a number of years, anxiously waiting for that next tape to arrive. With shipping and taxes, I paid $25 for each tape at the time. There are two episodes on each tape. Charlie quickly figured in his head that the collection had cost me $2100.

I decided to put them on Craig’s List for a much more modest amount. Maybe there’s a “trekkie” out there somewhere who wants all 7 seasons of the show.

Charlie discovered his beloved baseball card collection. Not so beloved anymore I guess, because he put them on Craig’s List as well.

Yes, that closet held true treasure.......for someone, hopefully.

Last November we hired someone to paint the dining room, living room and master bedroom. The ceilings are so high that there was no way I was going to climb a ladder and try to do it. Also the wall which is by the stairs would be a problem.

The painter was hired for his labor only. I was to buy the paint. I bought the amount that I was told would be needed for the job. I now have one gallon of green paint (“April Mist”) and one gallon of burgundy paint (“Heirloom”) left over. Both are unopened.

I called Home Depot to see if they would give me at least half credit for each gallon and they said “No”. I was hoping they would take them back since I saw an “Oops” table in the paint section one time. They were selling paint that had been mixed wrong for half price.

It’s a shame to throw these unopened gallons of paint out, (not to mention $80 down the hazardous household waste drain) so it looks like my computer room will be the same color as the master bedroom, “April Mist”and my bookcases will be “Heirloom”. But, I think they will look fine.

I’m looking forward to getting that paint brush and roller back in my hand. It’s such a feeling of accomplishment to take a white, bare wall and transform it into a.....colored, bare wall.

The "after" pictures will be posted later.

All for now.........

No comments:

Post a Comment