Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Being a kitten isn't easy. Playing, pouncing, and purring is hard work!

Jonesie and his "Aunt" Patti
1/13/11

Jonesie and I went to visit my friend, Patti, in Palm Springs last week. Patti was going to be alone for a few days, so it was a good chance to take Jonesie up to meet his “Aunt” Patti and her little 11 month old cat, “cousin” ‘ K.K’.


I put Jonesie in his little carrier for the two hour drive. He fussed a little and then would get tired and take a nap. Then he would wake up and start meowing again. Actually he behaved pretty well. It was a long trip for such a little fellow.

When we got to Patti’s, I took Jonesie in and let him out of his carrier. He started investigating. The first thing he found were K.K.’s toys. He started pulling them out of the little basket. Then K.K. came in and we watched to see how they would meet each other. Jonesie acknowledged K.K., but then went back to “his” toys.

After an hour or so, they were chasing each other through the house like they’d known each other forever.

I really didn’t anticipate any problems because while Bob and Patti were on vacation one time, we kept K.K. at our house. She was about Jonesie’s age then. She did well at our house, playing with Jason and Kaci and she didn’t mind the dog. Her and Jonesie have similar personalities. They are both very calm and laid back.

Jonesie did have to go through a little training session at Patti’s though. We went out one day and when we came back later, Patti noticed that one of her plants had been chewed. As we were sitting there talking later, Jonesie jumped up on the table and went towards the plant. Patti took her spray bottle and said “No!” as she spritzed him. He ran like a scalded cat. Since we would be in and out, Patti put the plant in her bathroom and closed the door.

The dining room table was Jonesie’s biggest temptation. When he was caught up on it, he got sprayed. He’s very smart though and I think he’ll be easier to discipline than Jason was.

Jason is three years old now and he still tries to get away with as much as he can. I still haven’t impressed on him that I don’t want him in my kitchen window or on the counters. I also have had to remove all live (or what’s left) plants. But, that’s another story. He does know what a spray bottle does if it catches him at something he shouldn’t be doing.

Jonesie is getting ready to attack

K.K. is a medium-long haired, tuxedo cat. She and Jonesie got into some wrestling matches. We watched them to make sure no one got hurt. For the most part, it was all in fun. Jonesie is still pretty small, but he had no qualms attacking K.K. Patti went around picking up black fur from her very light colored carpet. I think Jonesie probably gave K.K. a good “brushing” with his little claws, because she shed lots of fur wherever she lay. Both cats still have their claws, but I don’t think the swords were drawn.

Looks like a stand-off

All too soon it was time for us to go home. I put Jonesie in his little carrier and strapped him in the passenger seat next to me. He meowed and napped, like he’d done on the trip over.

Then all of a sudden he started meowing louder and trying to get the door open. I thought he was going to tear his claws. He was trying to get my water bottle, so I thought he might be thirsty. I found an exit and pulled off and into a nursery parking lot. I took him out of the carrier and offered him some water. He just wanted to look around. I put a blanket on the console and he sat down on that. Then he stretched out on it like he just wanted to stay there. I knew we couldn’t do that. He drank some water and then when I tried to put him back in his carrier, he just refused.

I keep Sheila’s crate in my car. That was the only place I could put Jonesie for the ride home. He didn’t like that at all, but I had no choice. I had to drive us home. He meowed of course, and he climbed up the wire, but then he got tired and took little naps until we got home.

He was glad to get back in his own house and around his own things. Pretty soon he and Jason were chasing each other through the house. It was like he had never been gone.

Patti called and said that after we left, K.K. looked for Jonesie for a few minutes and then she went off and slept for the rest of the day. She came out for dinner. Having a little cousin come to visit is very tiring!

Very tiring for little cousin too!

More later.........


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a nice visit. I (sweetie) am always tired after entertaining Colonal (kernal corn), Jasmin's little yorkie.

    ReplyDelete