Wednesday, August 15, 2012

“Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” ― Robert Maynard Hutchins



I made my monthly visit to the chiropractor today.  He said I was doing fine and once a month seemed to be working for me.  I know I’m feeling much better. 

I’m trying to walk every day.  It’s been hot and even humid here and if I don’t get out to walk early enough, I wait until after 5:00 p.m. when it starts cooling off.

When I go to the chiropractor, I usually stop at Miramar commissary, on the way home.  Today, in the produce section, I saw a lady who looked just like my sister, Jennifer.  I mean this lady had the same hair style, same color, same type of clothes, etc.  It was amazing.  I couldn’t help but stare.  She was busy shopping and didn’t notice me.  We were on opposite sides of the area.

I managed to get my fruits and vegetables and go on with my shopping.  But, then I saw her down at the end of one of the aisles and it just struck me again how familiar she looked.  I got out my phone and, without drawing attention, of course, took a couple of pictures.  I will send them to Jennifer, but won’t post them on my blog.

When I got home though, I pulled the pictures up on my phone and showed them to Charlie.  I said, “Who does this look like?”  Sounding puzzled like, ‘why are you asking me this?’ he said, “Your sister.”  Then I told him it was the lady in the commissary.  I guess everyone does have a double somewhere. 

We have an avocado tree in our yard.  It was started from a seed we planted over 12 years ago.  We planted it in a pot and then transplanted it to the yard.  It is a true survivor. 

We moved to Virginia for two years in 2002.  Our house was rented to people who, let’s just say, were not very good renters.  They didn’t water the yard or plants. 

When we returned to move back into the house in 2004, we were amazed to see that the little avocado tree had survived.  It was stunted, but alive.  Over the years it has grown and we’ve trimmed it.  Now it is over 10 feet high.  In May, Charlie discovered that there is one avocado growing on it.  Just one, but it’s the first one ever.
A salad is waiting for you!
We check it regularly and it is getting bigger, but nowhere near big enough to pick yet.  I don’t know how long it takes for them to mature because I’ve never had an avocado tree that bore fruit.  If we’re able to eat it, it is going to go into the biggest, best salad I’ve ever made.

Mr. Creme is doing fine, back on insulin again.  I check on him regularly.  He’s usually lying on the concrete floor in the garage, stretched out.  It has been warm and humid here for the past few days.  We don’t usually have much humidity, but lately it’s been at least 60%.  He’s eating well and looks forward to the attention he gets when he gets his B12 and insulin.
Lexi, still as pretty as ever
Lexi still has some congestion and sometimes she has a sneezing episode.  But, she’s still eating well.  I’m giving her the probiotic for her food.  It doesn’t seem to be doing much for the diarrhea though.  We are planning to take her back to the vet for some blood work.  Because of her thyroid problem, she is due. 

Ellie usually spends her time in my computer room.  Since she has weak back legs, she can’t jump up on things.  A three foot gate is all it takes to keep her in the room.  She can walk and get around, but her legs do give out if she tries to move too fast. 
Ellie, when she used to like my rocking chair

Early one morning I woke up and was surprised to find Ellie sleeping at the foot of the bed.  Apparently she has discovered a way of pushing the gate open far enough to slip out.  She comes downstairs and then she can get up on the bed by climbing the steps that are next to the chest at the end of the bed.  We bought those steps for Rowdy years ago when he started having trouble getting onto the bed.  What we do for our pets.....So now, Ellie can be found sleeping on our bed. 

We bring her back upstairs several times a day so she can get some food or water and go potty.  I usually put the gate back across the doorway so she will stay in her room and take care of things.  But, it doesn’t take long before we see her back on the bed.

The flea problem has subsided.  I applied Frontline to the cats the other day.  They’re not constantly scratching now, so I hope we have it under control.  If not, Charlie would be scratching because if there’s a flea or mosquito within range, it will get on him.
Our new walkway
About two years ago we had our back patio textured and coated.  The coating is stenciled to look like flagstone.  It is a great improvement and we were really happy with the work.  We decided to have the same done to the front entryway and walkways of the house.  The same company was hired and they did an excellent job.  We will probably have the driveway done at a later time.  We have to budget for these home improvement jobs.


No one likes to get weighed!
Charlie has been taking Sheila out for a walk every morning.  Her stamina is improving.  She is a lazy dog and would be happy just to lie around the house all day.  But, she was gaining too much weight, up to 74 pounds.  Charlie weighed her the other day and she was 69, which is much better.

More later....
TazzyD.... _^..^_



1 comment: