Thursday, February 9, 2012

Jon Arbuckle: What am I gonna do with you? 
Garfield: Love me, feed me, never leave me. -Quotes from the movie Garfield (2004)

The kittens, Dash and Cody, are working out well with the new arrangement of spending the night in their room.  Every night around 8:30 pm I call a play time.  They’re starting to expect it now.  The group usually consists of Dash, Cody and Rhody.  Sometimes, if Jonesie and Kaci are around, they join in.

I get out my little flashlight that has a red laser-like beam.  I stand at the bottom of the stairs and shine the beam on the floor while they chase it one way towards the kitchen and then the other way towards the bedroom.  I shine it up the steps and then back down.  All the kitties run up and back down, trying to catch the red dot.  I’m careful not to lead them into a chair or a wall, because they are so focused on that dot.

In 10 minutes or so, I start going upstairs with the light.  It leads them into their room, which is just at the top of the stairs.  Rhody runs into the room with Dash and Cody.  I close the door and play with them for a few more minutes, running them around the room, up on the bed and back down.  Then I put Rhody out of the room.


Their favorite bedtime game
The first night I tricked them into going into their room, they tried to come back out.  I had put Rhody out already. He doesn’t like to give up a toy, so he was outside the door waiting to run back in when I came out.  Of course, I had to pick him up and push him back out of the room.  The kittens were also trying to come out by then.  I managed to keep them in and I enticed them with a spoonful each of their favorite wet food. 

Now, I think they know the routine and are ready for bed when it’s time.  They are usually all played out.  The little spoonful of food is a treat at this time of night and fills their little tummies for a good night’s sleep.

Last night after I put them to bed, I was in my bathroom getting ready for bed.  I had the door closed, but then suddenly I heard a noise like it was coming from the TV or radio.  I opened the door to see if Charlie had come into the bedroom and turned on the TV.  He hadn’t.  He was reading in the front room.  The noise was coming from upstairs.

I went up to the kittens’ room.  They were both in the cat tree, but it looked like they had just gotten there.  Sure enough, they had turned on the radio.  It was a very loud news report. 

I have an old Bose radio in the room.  The buttons are on top, so if they walk on it, they can not only turn it on and off, but also change stations and adjust the volume.  I took away their radio privileges by unplugging the radio.

Mornings, I bring the kittens their breakfast and make them stay in the room until they have finished eating and use the litter box.  After about 15 minutes, we can hear them meowing, wanting out.  They are allowed out and have access to the house all day.

This has been working well because Dash and Cody are hell on wheels when they are unleashed into the house at night.  When we’re asleep, they can think up things to do that none of our other cats have ever come up with.  It eases my mind and I sleep better knowing that the little angels are confined to one area for a few hours.

Cody in one of her favorite places..."grandpa's" chair behind the computer
I’ve walked into the living room too many times and found them on the fireplace mantle, carefully walking through the pictures or figurines.  I have some pretty purple silk flowers that I’ve had forever.  They used to be in good condition, but Cody has pulled them out of their vase so many times and she has pulled some of the petals off.  I think the novelty has worn out now that they are ruined.  

Dash is getting better as far as getting on the counters.  She used to be up there every time I came into the kitchen.  It’s been awhile since I’ve caught her up there.  As I was approaching the kitchen, I could hear the thump of her jumping to the floor.  Haven’t heard that lately though.
Dash checking out the birds in the front yard
I’m sure I don’t see it all though, so I keep a spray bottle of Clorox Clean-up to spray on the counters when we are using them.

But, they do what healthy, happy kittens do.  They’re playful, curious, and can’t wait to use up the first of their nine lives.
Mr. Creme eating his curds and whey....the square marks the spot to inject.  The vet shaved it to get us started.
Mr. Creme had his fructosamine test Tuesday.  We got the results back from the vet yesterday.  He is doing better.  His glucose numbers are down in the 500's.  They were in the 700's when he was first diagnosed in December.  They need to be down in the 300-400 level.  We were told by the vet to raise the insulin injections in the evenings from two to three units.  So, starting last night, he’s getting six units a day.  Dr. thinks he may be stabilizing.  He’ll go back in three weeks for another test.

We love Mr. Creme.  He’s always been one of the sweetest cats we have.  He loves attention and wants to be where we are.  I just wish he could be in the house with us more.  He still wants to spray and that’s not going to change I’m afraid.  But, I spend quite a bit of time with him in the garage and when he’s in the back yard.  His back legs are still weak and poor thing, he has to stop for a minute while walking from the back door through the house to the garage.

My "sugar baby"
We asked the vet about his legs and she seems to think that it’s arthritis and not the diabetes or insulin causing it.  But, he wasn’t like that before he started insulin.  He did not have a leg problem like Toby and Ellie have.  I have read about other diabetic cats on insulin, and they have the weak legs.  Also, years ago when Rowdy had diabetes, his legs got so weak toward the end, he couldn’t get all the way into the litter box.  So, I don’t know if Mr. Creme will get worse.  I hope not.  He’s always been such a big, handsome, and proud cat.

Jason loves being in the garage with Mr. Creme
Debby is Mr. Creme's biggest fan and garage buddy
Kiki has been spending her time in the 4x4' kennel on the cat patio.  At least once a day I let her out of the kennel so she can run around the patio and stretch and snoop a little.  I close the glass doors though and block the cat door.  That is to keep our cats from going out there with her.  She does accept Cody and Dash, but none of the others.
Kiki
Yesterday I was out there changing their water bowls.  I forgot and left the door open.  I noticed it was open and Kiki was in the house.  She was walking towards the stairs and so far hadn’t tangled with anyone.  We managed to get her back out onto the patio with no mishaps. 

But, one day last week I forgot to block the cat door.  Rhody went through it and was attacked by Kiki.  I didn’t see what happened, but I heard it.  Rhody came flying through the cat door.  When I went out to the patio, there were a couple of wads of soft gray Rhody fur on the floor.  He was fine though.

That’s one reason we have to find a home for Kiki which does not have other cats, and definitely, no dogs.

I went to Petsmart today to pick up some things.  As I was parking, there was a commercial about a plumbing company on the radio.  I was in the store for about an hour.  When I got back in my car and the radio came on, that same plumbing commercial was on again.  It was as if time stood still....just saying...

More later............

2 comments: