Monday, February 27, 2012

A cat isn't fussy — just so long as you remember he likes his milk in the shallow, rose-patterned saucer and his fish on the blue plate. From which he will take it, and eat it off the floor. — Arthur Bridges

Jonesie and Kaci, in perfect harmony
I took Sheila for a walk the other night.  We live on a cul de sac, so we go down to the street below and then walk to the end of it, which ends in a cul de sac.  The walk is just long enough to get her out of the house and gives both of us some fresh air.

When we walk past the house where Bob, the cat, used to live, I always think of him.  He was usually outside and he would run down the driveway and greet us.  Most of the time he ran along with us.  As we walked along the sidewalk, he would scamper through the yards, sometimes up a tree and back down.  He wore a collar with just a tag which had his “owners’” phone number.  No name.  But, the tag jingled when he ran.

I found out last year that Bob had died.  He came home sick and they thought he ate a poisoned rat.  I assume they took him to the vet, but I don’t know that.  Anyway, Bob died.  I only found out he was gone months later when I saw a man in the driveway and asked about Bob.  They had called him "Cat".  I knew Bob hadn't been out at night to take walks with us for some time.  But, I was hoping that nothing had happened to him.

When Bob was here for a week after he was neutered.
Anyway, when Sheila and I got to Bob’s old house, I heard the familiar jingle of a collar.  I stopped and looked around.  It was dark, but I could see a cat in the driveway.  It was running around near the car.  I called “kitty, kitty”.  He came down to the sidewalk and if I’d been alone, he probably would have come to me.  He looked like a tabby.  I couldn’t get over how much he acted like Bob, only he didn’t follow us down the street like Bob would have done. 

When we came back by, I looked for the little cat, but he wasn’t there.  I could only hope that he was inside the house or the garage for the night.  But, like Bob, I’m sure this cat’s “owners” do not keep him in the house.

I walked Sheila again last night, but there was no sign of the cat.  I’m sure he will be out there again sometime.

I first started letting Kiki have the run of the small cat patio.  I blocked the cat door so no other cat could go out there.  She usually stayed out for awhile and when she decided to take her nap, she went back into her 4x4' kennel and settled on her cat tree bed.  At that point I just closed her kennel.

Kiki in her kennel, with the door open
Then I decided to try letting her into the house.  This was only after Jezibel and Lexi were in the yard.  Jason, Jonesie and Kaci are usually in the garage or in the yard too.  So far she has done pretty well, even managing to maneuver around Sheila.  Sheila is so used to cats, that she doesn’t really pay much attention to another one.  But, I’m keeping an eye on the situation. 

The first time Kiki came in the house, I followed her around with my water spray bottle, just to make sure there were no angry encounters.  Rhody is in awe of Kiki.  He follows her around.  She doesn’t seem to mind being admired.  She does turn and meow at him, but it’s more like “why are you following me?” than “leave me alone!”

Rhody, "Don't I look innocent enough???" (not!)
Yesterday Jason was in while Kiki was running around the house.  He was not trying to attack her, but he was curious about her.  It made her nervous to have Jason following her around.  I was watching, but it happened so fast, I couldn’t do anything. 

Kiki slapped Jason across the side of his head.  He ran off shaking his head.  I immediately got Kiki back into her kennel.  When I finally caught up with Jason, I saw that he had a scratch on his right ear and was bleeding from it. 

I took a cotton pad and soaked it with peroxide and cleaned the scratch on Jason’s ear.  After it stopped bleeding, I applied some Neosporin:-:Pain.  When I checked on Jason later, he was no worse for the wear.

But, we are really going to be careful that Kiki does not attack any of our cats again.  Our cats are all declawed in the front paws.

Dash and Cody, now five months old
We’re still hoping that we can find homes for Kiki and her kittens, Dash and Cody.  But, in the meantime, I think it’s important to have them fit into a family of other cats and a dog.  At least they have a chance to be normal. 

I’m sure that since Jezibel and her daughters, Lexi and Ellie, have always hated each other, as well as any other cat,  there’s no chance that they will accept Kiki.  They have already been exposed to Dash and Cody and have learned to tolerate them.  But, they were not given a choice.  Since Kiki is older, she will not be tolerated. 
Lexi
Jezibel

We don’t need any upsets, so it’s better to just keep them apart.  Besides, this is Jezibel and her daughters’ home.  It’s Kiki’s too, but she is the one who will have to make concessions.

The other day we received a little note from Cynthia, the lady who adopted “Spicey” (aka Dot).  She said that Spicey was growing bigger.  Her and Cynnamin are getting along fine.  Cynnamin treats Spicey like her baby–grooming her ears, etc.  Spicey says, “I’m not afraid of you”.  She finally let Cynthia rub her back!  We were invited to come by and see them anytime.  Now that we have her address, we will call her and go see how our little Dottie turned out.  I’m sure it will be like looking at our Dash.  They are identical except for the little light gray dash on Dash’s head.  I’m sure Spicey is pure white.  Her little dot was all but gone when Cynthia took her home.  I’m glad it’s working out.

Mr. Creme is still doing fine.  His legs are weak, but he goes out every day and he can still get into the patio chair, where he sleeps.  He’s eating well.

Debbie with her beloved, Mr. Creme
Debby still loves Mr. Creme.  I don’t know why, but ever since she came here almost three years ago, she has wanted to be near Mr. Cream.  When we were keeping her in the 4x4' kennel before we started letting her have the full run of garage, she would always rub against the cage when MC walked by.  He has always ignored her.  He never grooms her and I don’t think she grooms him.  But, she sleeps next to him in his chair or if there’s not enough room, she will find a place to sleep as close as she can to him.  It’s really sweet to see that Mr. Creme is loved so much by this little feral black cat.

Jason has hitched his little wagon to Mr. Creme, but he has ulterior motives.  Unlike Debbie, who really wants to be close to MC and asks nothing in return, Jason has associated MC’s insulin injections with getting a treat.  Since he usually sleeps in the garage at night, he is there when I go out to give he and Mr. Creme breakfast.  Then when I return to give MC his insulin, Jason comes over and watches me prepare the syringe.

Jason with his "sugar daddy", Mr. Creme, enjoying some outdoor time together
Mr. Creme also associates his injection with a treat.  Usually Mr. Creme will go to the little scratching platform and lie down.  I tell him it’s just like me when I go to the chiropractor.  The doctor tells me “OK, face down” on the torture rack.  After I pet and talk to MC, I give him his shot and then two “Good Life” treats.  Of course, Jason is also there and he gets two treats as well.

Sometimes Jason acts like he thinks he should get an injection too.  I have to tell him that those are not treats.  I hope to never have to give insulin to him or any of the others, for that matter.

More later..........

No comments:

Post a Comment