Thursday, September 1, 2011

When a cat sleeps all day it's natural, not annoying.

Rhody, in July

On Tuesday we took our five month old kitten, Rhody, to the vet to be neutered and declawed. He had to stay overnight, so I called at noon on Wednesday to see if he was ready to go home. No, he had a little fever and his doctor had to come in and check on him.

I went to get a haircut in the meantime. The girl who was going to cut my hair had orange/pink hair, a stud in her tongue, a three rhinestone pin in her upper lip, but, ahhh, no tattoos!

I have to say though, she was very intelligent and she gave me a good haircut and blow-dry. She said that she taught hair cutting at two schools. One in El Cajon and one at Miramar. She even allowed herself to be used as a guinea pig. Yes, she allowed her students to cut her hair and bangs. She said that otherwise, they would not have enough confidence in themselves to go on and get their licenses. When I told her that her hair cut looked good, she said “Well, I have extensions because I got a really bad cut and my bangs were really messed up, but......”

I knew a girl one time who went to cosmetologist school and she said that she practiced on wigs. Maybe they have changed their schools over the years. Anyway, this person who cut my hair yesterday did a good job.

I asked her about her hair when I first saw her. Maybe I’m getting older and I really don’t care what people think as much, but I was really curious as to how she got that color in her hair. She was not at all appalled that I would ask. I asked if it was permanent and she said “Yes, but it does run when I shampoo”. She said she had to first bleach her hair out and then put the color in. It took quite a long time to do. I didn’t tell her, (maybe when I’m in my 80's or 90's I will), but I wouldn’t have wasted so much time on it. It really didn’t look that good.

When she was shampooing me, she said that when she had new customers like me, she never knew if they would be conservative and not want her to fix their hair, because of her hair color, etc. I said, “Well, I wouldn’t want that color on my hair, but if you can cut my hair like I like, I couldn’t care less.” I also mentioned that I would never have a piecing in my body except for my ears, but I really didn’t care how many she had either. Then she told me that she would never get a tattoo. I stopped short of telling her that it was a good idea because by the time she got old, the tattoo would be a big waste of time. What was up is down by that time.

So, after the haircut, I called the vet again and Rhody was ready to come home. I went by to get him. The technicians told me that they had been holding him and he was so sweet. I knew that. Rhody is really calm and a special boy. They gave me some pain meds to give him every 12 hours for five days.

I brought him home. The other cats sniffed him. He was pretty hungry and he ate his dinner and then went to the other bowls. He had already had his pain meds at the hospital so we didn’t have to give him anything, just keep the collar on so he couldn’t lick anything.

I got up early this morning and checked on Rhody. He was fine. Jonesie and Rhody are used to playing in the morning. They chase each other through the house and then get up on top of the cat tree in the family room and wrestle.

I was lying on the couch and all of a sudden Jonesie ran up the cat tree. Before I could stop him, Rhody tried to run up the cat tree. He doesn’t have claws anymore and he came crashing down. I couldn’t help but yell because I thought he might have hurt himself. He ran away. I went looking for him. All the noise woke up Sheila and Charlie. We found Rhody under the coffee table in the front room. We checked his paws, etc. and he seemed fine. All of this with his cone head collar on.

I fed the cats and then we gave Rhody his pain medication. I probably wouldn’t have, but he seemed to be worried about his paws and that is usually a sign that he has pain. He’s supposed to get a dose every 12 hours.

I remember when Taz had his surgery last year, we had Tramadol to give him. I think we only gave him a dose because he really didn’t seem to need it. Sometimes the side effects are worse than the treatment. It made him nauseous. I think the taste of the Tramadol was bitter.

Rhody took his meds easily and I think it helped him through the day. He was due another dose about 4 hours ago. Before bedtime, I will see if he seems to need it.

They gave me syringes with already measured doses of the medication. That way we don’t have to draw it up in the syringe ourselves. Last year with Taz’s meds, I had a syringe which I had to measure the amount to give and I drew it up from the liquid in a bottle. Not that big of a deal, but we see how things change from year to year. It’s easier having pre-dosages.

So Rhody has done well today. He won’t get to go outside for awhile, but he really didn’t complain about that much. We have been letting everyone outside in the backyard for a couple of hours in the afternoon. We watch them carefully and they run around the yard. It’s good for Jonesie because he seems to be building his muscles up, running across the yard, etc.

Jonesie is nicknamed “Marshmallow Man” because he feels so squishy when I pick him up. He’s so soft and doesn’t feel heavy. Although I weighed him this morning and he now weighs 9.8 lbs.! Rhody is 8 lbs. already, at 5 months old. It will be interesting to see how big that guy gets!

More later...........



No comments:

Post a Comment