Saturday, June 4, 2011

Love is to the heart what the summer is to the farmer's year. It brings to harvest all the loveliest flowers of the soul. - Billy Graham



From Friday, June 3, 2011

Charlie and I, Robert, Angie, Jennifer, Greg, and their daughter, Jasmin went on a harbor dinner cruise. We got down to the harbor at 6:00pm and the boat left at 7:00pm. It was a really pretty evening. As we were leaving home, I looked to see if Jennifer’s Canada Geese had come to the yard. They weren’t there, like the evening before.

We were the first to board and they gave us a table for eight, right by the windows. We went up on the top deck to take pictures and just look around. There were quite a few people, but it didn’t feel too crowded. The air was warm and you could smell the salt in it. It was breezy, but not a bit uncomfortable.

When we went back to our table, they were ready to serve the salads. Then we had She Crab Soup, which I had never had before. It was pretty good. I had grilled Talapia and although my taste and sense of smell has not completely returned, I can say it was very tasty! Charlie had a stuffed chicken dish, which he said was good. There were several entrees to choose from and I think everyone enjoyed what they had.

We cruised around the harbor, past the old aircraft carrier, USS Yorktown, out to Fort Sumter, the place where the Civil War began in 1861, back along the harbor. The whole cruise lasted about three hours. We have harbor dinner cruises in San Diego, but we have never taken one. Now we know that it might be something to consider doing sometime. I think it would be really nice for a special occasion, like an anniversary or birthday. There was a man onboard who was with his family, celebrating his 80th birthday.

Anyway, it was a fun evening. Oh, and they had music and a DJ who asked trivia questions during his breaks. Several teachers were in the audience and not a one answered a question correct. Of course, we didn’t either!

Saturday, June 04, 2011

Jennifer was making breakfast this morning when I went to Robert and Angie’s house. Angie was not feeling well and was still in bed. If she’d had wine the night before like we did, I’d have known what the problem was! But, Robert said she just didn’t eel well.

Jennifer said that the six Canada Geese were in her yard this morning. The others never came.

The 6 geese, Thursday evening, before the other 13 arrived

Jennifer and I went to Farmer’s Market, which they have every Saturday here in Summerville. It’s a really complete farmer’s market with every vegetable and fruit you can imagine. A couple of dairies are there selling their milk, eggs, cheese, butter, and one had different kinds of meats as well.

If we lived here, I’d be at that market each week to buy fresh veggies and fruit. Since it’s seasonal, they are open from April through October. But, I’ve decided that I want to learn to can and freeze so I can take advantage of the fresh fruits and vegetables from summer.

We bought some butter beans already shelled and some speckled butter beans, which need shelling. Also, some okra and tomatoes. Jennifer bought some eggs and milk. She says that one of the dairies sells fresh, unpasteurized milk, which has cream at the top. I’m not much of a milk person, so that doesn’t appeal to me. But, she got some chocolate milk, which was pasteurized.

There were also other people selling their various crafts at the farmer’s market. There was a lady who paints portraits from photographs. I spotted a black cat painting and commented on how pretty it was. Jennifer asked the lady how much it was and said, “I want to buy that for my sister for her birthday”, pointing at me. That felt pretty good to be with my sister shopping. I haven’t been able to do that in a long time.

Anyway, it turns out that the cat belonged to the artist. His name was “Max” and he lived to be 25 years old. In his prime, she said he weighed 23 pounds. I told her I would take good care of “Max” when I got him home.

The other day, one of Jennifer and Greg’s farmer friends brought some fresh corn. When we got home, Greg had shucked all of the corn, a little over 50 ears. Jennifer was going to cut the corn off the cob and freeze it. I told her I would help and of course I would get a couple of quarts for us to take with us.

So she blanched the corn and when it cooled, we cut it off the cob and put it in quart freezer bags. I remembered my mother doing that when I was young. It brought back memories of all of those summer vegetables we had in our freezer growing up. I remember the fresh corn and beans during the winter time.

Jennifer has become quite the canner and preserves maker. She canned some peaches last year and sent me a jar. They were delicious. She made some strawberry preserves last week and I am now the happy owner of a jar of preserves. I asked her this morning how she learned to can and she said “I read the directions”. Oh, I hadn’t thought of that! I have directions to do that in my Betty Crocker cookbook at home. I think I will give it a try.

Later, as we were going to dinner, I told everyone of my big plans to can and preserve. Charlie said, "What have you done to my wife?"

We went to dinner at a seafood restaurant called “Gilligan’s”. Almost everyone had shrimp, but I had sea scallops, which were good. I like them, but I don’t eat them often.

Charlie ordered swordfish, but for some reason, it was very fishy. Swordfish is usually a mild white meat fish, and not fishy at all. He told the waitress that he didn’t like it and asked for some shrimp, which she brought to him rather quickly. Charlie doesn’t like to send food back and I’ve seen him just eat whatever he ordered, even though he wasn’t completely happy with it. But, this swordfish must have really been bad, because he refused to eat it.

We got back to the house and the Canada geese didn’t show up again this evening. I wonder if they’ve gone on up north?

More later………

No comments:

Post a Comment