Monday, June 6, 2011

Cats are better than any vice. They're not fattening, dangerous, or expensive. However, they can be addictive.

Jason
Sunday, June 5, 2011

Soon after I woke, I was sitting at the table and heard some geese flying over. It was just before 7:00am. I was hoping that the geese were coming to Jennifer’s for breakfast. Charlie was out walking Sheila, so I got my camera and walked over to see if the geese were in Jennifer’s yard. There was one goose standing in the yard. Greg was pulling weeds nearby, so the geese didn’t land.

Yesterday, while Jennifer and I were out shopping, etc., we drove by a pond where she thought the geese might be staying. We counted seven on the water. Jennifer said those were probably some of “hers”. She said originally there were 21 that were coming to eat at her house.

Greg bought tickets for us to go to see Travis Tritt at Boone Hall Plantation in Charleston that night. Charlie and I, Greg, Jennifer, and their daughter, Jasmin and her friend Sarah were going. Robert and Angie couldn’t make it.

We got there around 6:30pm. Boone Hall is also one of America's oldest working, living plantations. They have been continuously growing and producing crops for over 320 years. Once known for cotton and pecans, they are still actively producing
strawberries, tomatoes, and pumpkins, as well as many other fruits and vegetables for visitors to enjoy. We visited here several years ago to tour the plantation.

It was a perfect venue for this show. The stage was set up, the beverage and food booths were lined up. It was warm, but not uncomfortable. It was just so pretty to be there under the huge, old, moss-draped, oak trees. If only they could talk! What they could tell. In 1743, the son of Major John Boone planted live oak trees, arranging them in two evenly spaced rows. They line the long drive and it’s called the Avenue of the Oaks.

Jennifer took this picture with her cell phone

We were told not to bring cameras to the concert, so we didn’t. When we sat down, everyone was taking pictures all around with their cell phones and then we even saw some cameras coming out. There didn’t seem to be much enforcement on the no-camera rule. I just wished I’d brought mine so I could get some pictures when we drove into the plantation and down the Avenue of Oaks.

Bo Bice opened for Travis Tritt. He came in second to Carrie Underwood on American Idol in 2005. I think we saw him perform on American Idol sometime in the past couple of seasons. Anyway, he really put on a good show. We liked everything he did.

Then Travis Tritt came out and I have to say it was one of the best concerts I’ve been to. That guy can really perform. When he came back on for an encore, he did six more songs.

We enjoyed it, but it was getting late and we were getting tired. Jennifer, Greg and Jasmin had to work the next day. Jennifer jokingly said, “It’s the concert that won’t quit!” I said, “We should be careful what we ask for.”

Anyway, it was a fun night. We got home around midnight and went straight to bed.

Monday, June 6, 2011

I got up pretty early this morning. The cats were hungry, as usual, so I fed them. While I was sitting on the couch, I saw a flock of geese fly over. I grabbed my camera and went to Jennifer’s to see if it was her flock coming in to eat.

Sure enough, all 19 Canada Geese were on the ground. Jennifer was out there throwing out their corn, sunflower seeds and some bread. They had fresh water so they were set for breakfast. I guess the weekend was over and the new week was starting for them.

Robert and Angie were leaving today to go back to Spartanburg, SC. Robert works up there, so for now, they maintain two homes. They came down on Thursday before the Memorial Day weekend. They left around noon. It’s going to seem strange to be here and they are not home.

Charlie and Kaci

Charlie went out for the morning with Greg, who was going to some of his construction sites and checking on things. They would be back after lunch.

Jennifer came over and picked me up. We ran a couple of errands and went to lunch. It’s just been so nice being here, but I know everyone is working around!

Jonesie is ready to go home!

We are leaving here tomorrow and after another stop in Mississippi to see Charlie’s uncle, we will head for home!

More later………

No comments:

Post a Comment