Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Cats may learn to become independent, but they also crave human company. They just don’t want everyone to know their little secret!

Jonesie, with the Mom who adores him

Jonesie, our newest addition to the cat family, will be 7 months old on Friday. It seems like we’ve always had him. From the time I brought him home, he belonged. Even the other cats who don’t like each other, much less little strangers, seem mystified by his affect on them.

We were always amazed at the twins, Jason and Kaci, when they played or wrestled with each other. Sometimes early in the morning they’d wake us up, tumbling with each other at the foot of the bed. They never made a sound. If it had been Jezibel or any of the other cats, they would have been screaming as if they were being killed. Of course, they don’t play with each other like that at all and never have.

Jezibel, trying to intimidate Kaci
(it worked)


Jonesie is the same as the twins. He’ll find one of the twins asleep and just pounce and start the wrestling match. Neither one make a sound. You’d never know what was going on unless the tumbling was going on near you.

Kaci and Jonesie in a wrestling match

This morning I was sitting on the couch talking on the phone to my brother. I was trying to listen to what he was saying. Jason was sitting on the floor looking out the sliding glass doors onto the enclosed cat patio. As I watched him, Lexi came up from behind and jumped on his back. She’s pretty big and since it caught him off guard, he fell over. He sat up and just looked at Lexi. I think that surprised her more than anything because when she does that to Jezibel, you can hear Jezibel’s scream a mile away. We always come running to break up the mother/daughter skuffle. I got up and opened the door and Lexi sauntered out onto the patio.

Lexi, looking down on everyone from her perch

Then Kaci came up on the couch next to me and immediately wanted to burrow in the blanket which covered the couch. That was okay, I allowed it since she’s a burrower. Then Jonesie, who had seen her go under the blanket, came up and got under the blanket too. Soon they were tumbling and it looked like two little pigs under the blanket. No noise, but lots of movement, which was distracting me. I reached under the blanket and felt for Jonesie. He came out. He was not done yet though. He started attacking Kaci from the back of the couch by jumping on top of her.

I still managed to listen and contribute to the phone conversation while this was going on. Then Sheila, who thinks that she should be involved in everything the cats do, came over and wanted to join the wrestling cats on the couch behind me. I pushed her away from the couch, but she only became more insistent. Finally, I held her back with my bare foot. She didn’t know what to think of that so she started licking my bare leg. That was it for me. I finally was forced to retreat from the couch and let the cats and Sheila have it.

I walked into the family room to try to finish my phone call. Sure enough, when I turned around, there were the twins, Jonesie and Sheila. All had followed me.

Soon they settled in and took their morning naps.

Jason and Jonesie after a wash-fest

I have always talked for them and what they say is true I guess:
“Mom, we are your reason for living!”
You haven’t lived until your mornings start off like this.

More later...........

No comments:

Post a Comment