Thursday, March 6, 2014

"Since rescuing cats, I've lost my mind, but found my soul"

Kiki soon after rescue October 2011
Update on Kiki: 

Kiki was rescued in October 2011.  She and her three kittens were living in the firewood pile belonging to friends of ours.  (Blog dated October 8, 2011)

We caught her and the kittens.  Kiki was about 2 years old.  She was a feral who had been on her own, but my friend said she had once belonged to the people across the street from them.  They had moved out and left her.

As far as they knew, she had had one other litter of kittens, which they had seen going through their yard one time.  No sightings since, so they did not know what had happened to those kittens.

Kiki’s kittens were about 4 weeks old and were being weaned, but were still nursing.  We kept them together.  When Kiki stopped nursing, we took her to the vet and she was spayed.

In November, my friend’s brother took Kiki and we hoped it would work out.  But, after only a month, Kiki was returned just before Christmas 2011.  She and the resident cat did not get along.

We re-introduced Kiki into our house.  Even though it had only been a month, her kittens didn’t welcome her back and she really didn’t want to have anything to do with them either.  It was a shame, because she and one of the kittens, Dash, had been so close before she left.

Kiki developed an allergic reaction to fleas.  Even though we keep flea protection on all of the cats, if one flea bites her, she breaks out into sores which scab over. 

After the vet told us about the allergy, we decided to seclude Kiki.  We put her in her own room.  She was not allowed in the rest of the house.  It was a comfortable room: cat tree, day bed, litter box, food , water, and a window to watch the birds from.  All she needed. 

We felt bad that she couldn’t have access to the rest of the house, or go into the backyard, which she had been able to do before.  We went into her room and spent time with her.  She loved being petted, but was independent.  I used to go in and lie on the bed.  She would come over to be petted, then go back to the cat tree to look out the window.

She was with us for about two years when a friend of mine called.  Her cat had been sick and had passed away.  I felt terrible because I knew and had spent time with her cat.  She was a sweet Calico, independent and not a lot different from Kiki.

As upset as my friend was, she said she wanted to get another cat, but was “digesting” losing “Bina”.  Her daughter, who also has cats, had suggested she not wait too long.  I understood and didn’t press, but I told her that I had a 4 year old cat who might be right for her. 

I gave her a little background on Kiki.  She wanted a picture of her.  After seeing the picture, her reply was, “I’d like to meet Kiki!” 

She was going out of town for the holidays, but would be back after New Year’s and was anxious to see Kiki.  I had no problem with that. 

I took Kiki to meet my friend on January 2, 2014, a three hour drive away.  They hit it off.  My friend told me that when I told her about Kiki, that December, she had such a happy, calm feeling, like it was perfect.  She knew it was going to work out.  They needed each other.

Kiki has adjusted to being an only cat.  She has cat trees, cat condos, an atrium to spend warm mornings and afternoons on.  She’s totally indoors and my friend spoils her.  I haven’t been back up to see them since January, but I hope to go soon.  I get updates and it’s all good.

I’m just so happy that our Kiki girl has a home of her own now.

More later.....

My middle name is Devil,
Tazzy D _^..^_
























No comments:

Post a Comment