Thursday, August 22, 2013

If I tried to tell you how much I love my cats, you wouldn't believe me - unless your heart is also meow-shaped and covered in stray fur. -- Lexie Saige





I was getting a pedicure the other day.  A lady walked by outside.  The dress she was wearing reminded me of a nightgown my granny made for me when I was 2 or 3 years old.  I don’t remember it, but my mom said it was striped.  Granny had some left over material, but only enough for something my size.  The stripes didn’t go up and down, they went around.  Mom said I looked like a little worm.  I could picture it and it made me laugh.

The stripes on the lady’s dress went around. So much for my fashion news.

Last month we decided to take a couple of days and go up to Idyllwild.  It’s in the mountains a couple of hours away.  Actually the idea occurred to us when my sister asked us to help her get something shipped to her.  The item she bought was in Hemet, which is only about 45 minutes from Idyllwild.

Our plan was to go to Hemet, pick up the item, take it to UPS, with the packaging box she sent to me, ship it and then go up to Idyllwild.

When the time we planned to go was near, Ellie was diagnosed with diabetes.  She started her insulin on Friday, July 5.  We were going to Idyllwild on Tuesday and Wednesday the following week. 

Instead of taking Ellie to the vet to stay or have our petsitter take care of her, we decided it was best to take Ellie with us.  She was just starting on insulin and we felt better giving it to her ouselves.  We also took Jonesie and Jackson.  Sheila was boarded since she is not a real good traveler.  Pets are allowed at the cabin.  We have been going there for 10 years. 

The last time we were there was not long after Taz died, October 2010.  We took Jason, Kaci and Sheila with us.

We packed up the cats that morning and headed out.  It was hot, 106 degrees, in Hemet, a desert town.  The cats were patient in their kennels, Ellie in one and Jackson and Jonesie in the other.

We picked up the item and took it to UPS to be shipped.  There was a little delay in the process when UPS said the box exceeded size limits that they could ship.

While I was in UPS talking to them, Charlie stayed in the car with the A/C running.  I went out to tell him about the shipping problem.  He went in to talk to them.  Then I stayed in the car with the cats.

After awhile he came back.  It was all taken care of.  I had called my sister and told her about the shipping problem and she said, “If it fits, ship it!”  Her and her husband were enroute home from a trip themselves.

So now we could get the cats up to Idyllwild.  We got to the cabin, set up food, water and litter boxes for the cats and after hiding under the bed for awhile, they were all settled in.

Cottage in the Woods
The cabin is set back away from the other rentals.  It’s very cute.  There are birds, squirrels and rabbits all around.  We’ve seen raccoons there at night.  There are windows all along one side.
Jonesie and Jackson
Jonesie and Jackson had a ball sitting in the windows watching the birds.  We were so relaxed just being there.  Ellie did very well too.  She had a good appetite and took her meds well.  We brought her pre-filled syringes, which worked very well.
Cool cat, Miss Ellie



It was warm and Ellie, being the smart one, found a cool place to lay on the tiles in the shower.
 




Ellie was very tolerant of the youngsters, Jonesie and Jackson, for a change, so I know she enjoyed our mini vacation as much as we did.  It was good for all of us to get away from the routine for a couple of days.


Stay tuned.......
My middle name is Devil,
Tazzy D _^..^_ 

2 comments: