Wednesday, June 27, 2012

There's a point in every true friendship, where friends stop being friends and become sisters. - Unknown

Mr. Creme had a blood glucose and fructosamine test on the 13th.  His blood glucose was very good.  We received those results right away.  The next day we received the fructosamine results and it was also good.  It was 262 which was within the safe range for cats.  The vet told us that we could stop giving MC his insulin.  He had had his 2 units that morning and the test was at 4:00 p.m.

We are going to take him back in three weeks and test him again.  If the BG and fructosamine are still good, we will keep him off of insulin.  Then we will test again in 2 months unless there is a problem, i.e. he starts losing weight, doesn’t eat properly, etc. 

It’s been nice to not have to give MC an insulin shot each morning.  Of course, I think he misses that extra attention he was getting.  We had to make sure he ate enough food each morning before we could give him his injection.  Sometimes he just wasn’t interested in what I was serving, so I’d wait awhile and bring something else to him.  Usually he’d eat that and we could get on with our day.

I still make sure I spend lots of time with him though and he really likes it.  I see that he eats his breakfast and when he goes into the yard, he has food to eat while he’s there. 

Lexi is also in the yard during the day.  Since she has a hyper thyroid condition, she needs food also.  We’re running a nursing home for our elderly (12+ year) cats, but we will do whatever we need to do to keep them comfortable in their old age. 

Mr. Creme’s legs are doing so well too.  I have to thank those B12 pills I’ve been giving him.  He is walking normally.  We’ve caught him a couple of times, sitting on the retaining wall, looking up at the top of the gate.  We tell him no, he can’t leave the yard and we bring him back to the patio.  He is usually distracted by then.  As far as we know, he hasn’t actually tried to jump to the top of the gate...yet.  We don’t want him in the front yard where he will usually walk down the street or up the hill.  Those days that he had free reign are over.

So much for that....Charlie just came and told me that Mr. Creme was in the front yard.  Apparently he has discovered that he can jump to the top of the fence and go over.  The B12 pills are working too well.

Kiki stayed out in the house last night for the first time.  We have been allowing her to come out of her kennel during the day, but usually we put her back in to sleep at night.  She did well last night so we will gradually give her more freedom.  When she is settled somewhere, she allows us to pet her.

Willie is usually loose in the house during the day too.  But, she hisses at the other cats, so I take her back to her room to give her some alone time.  We’ve kept her before and during those times, she blended in well with our cats so she was just one of them.  This time, the other cats seem to get on her nerves, although none of them are trying to chase her or hurt her.  She doesn’t have front claws and neither do they, so there’s no danger of clawing the faces.  She will probably be with us until September sometime.

Kiki’s kittens, Kodi and Dash, are still kind of wild.  Dash, the white one, allows herself to be petted if she is asleep in her favorite rocker or if it’s time to eat.  Otherwise, if she walks by me when I’m sitting in a chair, she gives me a wide berth.  There’s no such thing as her coming to me or Charlie for attention or to sit on our laps.

Kodi, the little tabby, is a little friendlier, she sometimes comes up to Charlie and gets on his lap.  She likes to be petted, but she can’t stand still for long.  I think her love for attention will overcome her wildness one day.

I went to get a pedicure the other day.  When I was done, I stood up and reached to get my purse, which had been on the stool next to me.  You can imagine my shock to see that my purse was gone.  Yes, that same purse that gets left in shopping carts and now I think it has taken on a life of its’ own.....I told “Linda” that my purse had been on the stool and was gone.  She couldn’t believe it either and then word quickly got around that I was missing my purse.  I stood there and kept looking down at the stool, like I couldn’t believe my eyes.  Chair controls were laying on the stool where my purse had been.  I looked to see if my purse had fallen behind the seat I had been using. 

This disbelieving moment went on for what seemed like minutes, when it was probably only seconds.  Everyone was holding their breath and checking to see if their purses were safe.  The lady who had just sat down in the chair next to me said, “This is scary”, as she made sure she had her belongings. 

The manager went back up to the front desk and before I could yell, “Close all the doors!  No one leaves until I find my purse!”, one of the manicurists said, “What color is it?”  I said, “Brown!”  She said, “Is this it?” and held up my purse.  It was safe!  My life had passed before my eyes when it went missing, since my life lives inside that purse!

Apparently the lady who had just finished her pedicure also had a brown purse.  When she went over to the manicure table, the manicurist had picked up my purse, thinking it was her client’s brown purse, and put it next to the lady on the floor.  She didn’t notice that it wasn’t her purse.

All was well.  We all sighed relief that we didn’t have a phantom purse snatcher in our midst.

I have always liked the pedicures and manicures I’ve gotten from that salon, but I do have a problem with the manager.  The salon accepts credit cards and even has the Visa and MasterCard emblem stickers on the front desk.  But, when people give their cards to pay for their treatment, he asks if they have cash.  He’s asked me before and I asked “why? when you say you accept credit cards”.  He said it saves him from having to pay the service charge that the credit card companies charge him when people use their credit cards.  That time I did have cash, so I paid cash.  But, this time I didn’t have enough cash, so I said I had to use my credit card, which is a check/debit card.  He didn’t like it, but he took it.  I think he should just change his policy and put signs up, “no credit cards”, if he makes you feel like he doesn’t want to take them.   

Charlie and I went to Palm Springs for the day on Sunday, the 24th.  We went to see our friends, Patti and Bob.  It was Patti’s birthday and we wanted to take her and Bob to lunch.  She wanted to go to Olive Garden, which was a good choice.


Patti and Bob, Charlie and me
We had finished eating and were just talking, when one of the waiters came over and said, “Did anyone lose a ring?”  He held up the ring that Bob had given Patti for her birthday!  It was a little big for her ring finger, so Patti had been wearing it on her index finger.  She hadn’t even noticed that it fell off and was on the floor.  The waiter said he had walked by and kicked it all the way across the room.  I think she was pretty lucky to get that ring back.

We had a nice visit for the rest of the afternoon.  It was 103 degrees, but of course, we were in the house which was about 80 degrees and very comfortable.  Compared to outside, it was like a cooler.  No wonder these desert dwellers almost freeze when they come to our 70's temps in San Diego.

More later......
TazzyD..... _^..^_

No comments:

Post a Comment