Tuesday, December 28, 2010

We give kittens a warm home, tender care, and endless affection. In return, they give us another reason to celebrate life.

Christmas was nice. Our friend, Kim, and her daughter, Haven, came over for dinner. Of course, they met our new arrival, “Jonesie”. He was a big hit with the girls. Kim took lots of pictures, which I will ask her to send when she can.

Kim and I had walked that morning and when we got back to her house, she showed me a couple of pictures of two of her cats that she’d had done. One of Colby and the other of Holly. I was blown away.

When I went home I told Charlie about it and then called to ask Kim to bring one of the pictures with her so he could see it. I planned on getting some made of our cats.

Haven gave Charlie a box of Mrs. Fields’ chocolates. I haven’t seen them since Christmas Eve. I think he stashed them near his computer so he could snack while playing the War Craft game he plays.

It was a very emotional moment for me to open a box and see my baby, Taz’s face looking up at me. Kim gave me a picture of Taz on canvas. She had asked Charlie to email her a picture of Taz to use. He didn't know why she wanted it. The picture is perfect. I’ve seen that look on Taz so many times. He's so relaxed. I just love it.

My canvas picture of Taz
Christmas 2010


On Christmas morning I slept in a little then went upstairs to let “Jonesie” out of his room so he could join in on our Christmas morning.

Charlie set up the movie camera and we have all kinds of tape of the cats and Sheila playing in the paper, under the tree, etc. They enjoyed it as much as we did.

Earlier this month, before our trip to Monterey, Charlie discovered that his tire pressure gauge wasn’t working. He borrowed our neighbor’s gauge to check the tires on the RV. When he told me about not having a gauge, I ordered one for him for Christmas.

Then the day before we left for Monterey, he came home and said he’d bought a new gauge. But then, couldn’t find it. I thought, “When I give him one for Christmas, he’s going to think I hid the one he bought”.

After we were on our trip, I found the gauge under the pillow on the couch. I debated whether to give it to him or not, and decided I should, since we might need it.

Christmas morning I opened a box and there was a combination tire gauge, seatbelt slasher, and hammer to break a window! Then he opened a box that I gave him and it was also a tire gauge! So now we have three, one for each car and one for the RV.

Jason playing in the paper
12/25/10


We were reminded of the Christmas in Monterey when "Dust Busters", cordless vacuums, were popular. That year he gave me one and I gave him one. Do our minds work alike, or what?

We are very happy with our little kitten, “Jonesie”. So far he seems to be just perfect. Of course, I think ALL kittens are perfect!

Jonesie and Kaci (or is it Jason?)

Jonesie and Kaci

The other cats are getting used to him too. Jezibel hisses and growls at him; Ditto for Lexi and Ellie; Mr. Creme is just curious and a little afraid of him; Toby....no reaction; Kaci....a low growl and a hiss or two, but she does watch him and has joined in a game with him, there’s hope; Jason is the one who surprises us. He actually licks Jonesie on his head and when I place Jonesie next to him in the cat tree or on the couch, he lets him lay with him. Kaci has also allowed Jonesie to lie next to her.

We’re hoping that Jonesie will be more influenced by the twins than with the “disagreeable" Jezibel and her daughters, Lexi and Ellie. Although I think Jezibel et al will eventually tolerate Jonesie, they will not like him any more than they like the twins. But then, they don’t like each other either! One on one, they are very sweet though. They are all loners and each one would have been very happy to be the only cat in the house.

Charlie and I were reminded of how Taz was treated by the two cats we had then, Rowdy and Calvin. He was about six weeks old when we got him and he was so spunky and full of it. Rowdy growled and slapped at Taz if he came near, but Calvin licked his head and held him down and washed his face and they often slept next to each other. Of course they both finally accepted him and our household was very peaceful.......until Jezibel came later....but I digress.

Calvin and Taz
January 1999


Rowdy and Taz
December 1999

Jonesie is very laid back and he doesn’t push the other cats. If they growl or hiss, he just adjusts the direction he’s going. Taz was different. The more Rowdy growled, hissed or slapped at him, the more he tried to approach Rowdy. It was a game to him. But, then “his middle name was Devil”.

More later......

1 comment:

  1. Those chocolates never had a chance of getting as far as my room. Haven and I inhaled them during our fierce Yatzee matches! Haven took the Yatzee crown with two wins to my one, but I won the real battle - scarfing up most of those chocolates!

    ReplyDelete