Monday, July 26, 2010

The Journey Begins.....

Our cat, Tazzy D. (the 'D' stands for Devil) Bell was born in October of 1998. He was 6 weeks old when we adopted him at the animal shelter. He was all ears and had the longest tail of any cat I'd ever had. It was 13" long! He grew into a handsome, 16+ lb. cat. He is 11 years old now. A couple of months ago he seemed to be losing weight. He was eating normally and acting normally, so we were not alarmed. But, then he continued to lose weight and it was starting to show. We were concerned and took him to the vet. After an exam, blood test and X-rays, the vet felt a lump in his lower intestines. She referred us to get an ultrasound. It showed a tumor and they aspirated cells to confirm. It was diagnosed as lymphoma high grade of the intestines. We took him to the Veterinary Specialty Hospital (VHS) to see if treatment was an option. The doctor said Taz was stable, at 10 lbs., and since he was still eating, would be a good candidate for chemotherapy if we wanted to try it. Otherwise, since it was "big cell" and grew quickly, he might have only 3 or 4 weeks to live with no treatment. We decided to try, since the doctors said we would know if there were improvements in a short time. That day, July 14, 2010, he had Vincristine via I.V. They gave us Prednisolone to administer daily and Cerenia, which is for nausea and vomiting. He did fine for a day, but his appetite diminished. The Cerenia seemed to help though and we managed to keep him eating. A week later, July 21, we took him back to VHS. His Oncologist talked to us and answered our questions. Taz weighed in at 10 lbs., so he had not lost any weight. He had a blood count and then when we got the results later, we would give him oral meds at home. The doctor called at 7:00 p.m. and said his white and red blood cells were normal and the platelets were normal so he could have the Cyclophosphamide. We gave him Cerenia a half hour before giving the Cyclophosphamide. The vet had also recommended that we get kitten food for him since it is higher calorie. We bought Science Diet dry food and he seems to enjoy it. Our next appointment is Wednesday, July 28. Taz has been eating pretty good so I hope his weight is up. If anyone reading this has had experience with cancer in your dog or cat, I'd like to hear from you.

18 comments:

  1. Taz is lucky to have Charlie and Charlie's Angel taking care of him. You didn't mention if Taz has shown any stress before treatment started. Is he in pain or can you tell?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taz didn't show any stress, other than the usual stress he always has when other cats come near him or his mom! ha That's why we weren't concerned right away when he started looking lighter. He's always been a good size cat, although never obese. When the vet first saw him the other day, he commented on his size and wasn't bothered that he "only" weighed 10 lbs., which is light for us. Taz doesn't appear to be in pain, although he has been lethargic right after getting the meds. Knock on wood, no vomiting though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm keeping my paws crossed for you Taz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Panda and the whole family wish Taz a fast recovery. We believe he can bounce back to be the strong Taz we all know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the good wishes! We love hearing it. As Tazzy would say, "Enough about you, let's talk about me!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi there Taz buddy! your twin weebles hopes you get better real soon, cause he want to play! My mother figure had passed away a yr ago with the same thing (she had a lump as well). But now I am 17lbs. and I am 9 yrs old soon to be 10 in october as well. Well ge better and send more pics.

    Your Twin Weebles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there, Taz! The people at Veterinary Specialty Hospital are really nice (they treated me for a fall once and treated my big brother, Stephen Tyler, when he was so sick) and I know they'll do right by you!

    - Julius

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm doing the best I can. Everytime I turn around I have food shoved at me. I hope I've gained a few ounces when I go to the VSH tomorrow! I've been sneezing a little and I hope it doesn't cause complications I don't need. The meds weaken my immune system. I love sleeping in my chair on the patio, with my blanket over me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not feeling too good today.....ate just a little this morning and found a laundry basket in a closet to curl up on. Someone put a fleece blanket in there which feels good. It's chilly for July, so I'm looking for warmth. Supposed to go to VSH today for a treatment....later.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a human that knows a human that .... Well, anyway- the patient wanted quiet and the less stimulation to the senses (smell, sound etc.)the better. Don't know if this helps you Taz or not. Hope your appointment goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My appointment went pretty good. My white blood cells were down (up last week), I've lost a little weight, down to 9-3/4lb from 10, but dr. says that's to be expected. She said it was harder to feel the mass today, so that's encouraging. I have meds to stimulate my appetite so we'll see how it goes....good nite..zzzzzz purrr

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Morning Taz. I would give you part of my breakfast(smack) (crunch) (lick). Ok, maybe next time. Glad your appointment went well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the offer, Sweetie Cat.....I was hungry this morning, but I couldn't smell the food so I didn't want to eat. I had been sneezing and it must have caused congestion in my nose and chest. I wound up at my regular vet to be treated for dehydration and got antibiotics for an upper respiratory thingy. Bummer. Hopefully I'll feel better and start eating TODAY. Can't afford to lose any more weight you know. Talk to you later!

    ReplyDelete
  14. When you feel a little better Taz, check your email to see the flowers I sent to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not feeling much better. Haven't been able to eat all day. Spent most of the day under the bed. Went outside to sit in the sun for a little while, but then they brought me back in and I went back under the bed. Sure hope I start feeling better tomorrow! Sweetie, I'll check for the flowers....ZZZZ cough,cough

    ReplyDelete
  16. Had a rough start today. Not much of an appetite, but feeling better now. I think the antibiotics are finally taking effect and helping me breathe. I can smell and taste my food now so I'm eating a little. Thanks for the pink dogwood flowers, Sweetie Cat. We don't have dogwood here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry you had a bad start to your day. I hope today will be better.

    ReplyDelete